Hertfordshire Music Service – Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan statement1 June, 2020
Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of Hertfordshire Music Service’s planning process. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (E, D and I) are referenced in the following ways:
- As a team within Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) Children’s Services, we are accountable to the HCC Equality and Diversity Board
- The proposed transformation process that may see Hertfordshire Music Service (HMS) become a charitable trust, has an Equalities Impact Assessment as a requirement to safeguard our commitment to E, D and I
- Proactively engage with partner organisations and partner music services (such as through the National Music Service Working Group for Inclusion) to ensure that our E, D and I is outward facing, as well as an internal commitment
- An annually-revised action plan to ensure that underneath the E, D and I framework provided by HCC, HMS commits to specific actions and strategies to proactively embed E, D and I principles more widely across our organisation and its planning process.
- Creation of a ‘working group’ for E,D and I of senior offers and relevant colleagues in the service embeds the responsibility for actions widely, and ensures senior monitoring of its impact ….
The E, D and I Action Plan will therefore monitor, reflect and challenge the following key areas:
- The children, young people and families engaging with HMS
- The workforce that HMS employs
- The profile of its governance, leadership and management teams
- Take account of specific areas of concern, such as communities, schools or protected characteristics that are disproportionately under-represented even within our E, D and I commitment.
During 2018-19, the MusicNet East-led Stevenage Musical Inclusion Network project informed HMS around examining how elements of organisational practice variously enable or present barriers to developing inclusion practice. Learning from this may support similar development of music centres and inclusion networks throughout the other nine districts of Hertfordshire from 2019-20.